Thursday, August 11, 2005

"Oh hello there everybody! This is your little furry pal, Grover."

Yesterday I was in Walmart buying a birthday present in the toy section and I stumbled across one of my all time favorite children's books. Ben's still too little to appreciate it. His tastes run more towards, "On the farm the puppies say, "Woof! Woof! Will you play?" but I bought it anyways. It brings back such good Sesame Street memories.

That was a great show before going south...

So many of my favorite moments involve Grover... Remember that blue bald guy who always ended up being waited on at Charlie's Diner by lovable Grover? Then his order would get all messed up and he'd wonder, "Why do I keep coming back to this place?" (Kind of a dummy really... If I got rotten service over and over I'd... Oh wait. I'd go back. I live in Yorkton and that's pretty much the only type of service available here.)Remember Near - Far? Grover running up to the camera and then away from it... over and over. I liked Super Grover best of all. "My cute little ears hear a cry for help!" (Not mine, Grover's.)I love Grover so much...

My very favorite Sesame Street moment wasn't a Grover moment though. It was when all the adults finally found out that Mr. Snuffleupagus was real and not just a figment of Big Bird's imagination. We could see Snuffy, and Big Bird could see Snuffy, but no one else could. Something always happened to take him away before he could be introduced to everyone else. It was so frustrating! We couldn't be sure whether Big Bird was imagining him or not. All we knew was that nobody would believe Big Bird.

I read somewhere that was the main reason why it was decided that Snuffy needed to be revealed. They didn't want to send the message that adults won't believe children. So the grown-ups made a big deal in apologizing to Big Bird for not believing him. It was a big deal for children to be able to believe in things that others couldn't see... If Mr. Snuffleupagus was real, then anything was possible.

Wasn't Sesame Street great? I wish they would rerun all of the old episodes... I really do like Elmo, but he's still no Grover.

1 comment:

  1. I concure...I agree..I LOVE YOU AND GROVER!!
    that is my favorite book...my kids too..the monster at the end of this book....
    ok...it's probably not their favorite anymore..but at one time..it was..
    love you to bits Becky...
    Trish

    ReplyDelete