Wednesday, December 28, 2005

"He's not a tame lion"... And other highlights...

Tonight Glen and I went to a movie at the theatre for the first time since we saw The Return of the King in the theatre... I was pregnant with Ben at the time... I guess we need to get out more...

Anyways, we saw The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe tonight. It was excellent. I cried at least seven times, but I am pregnant and Becky, so that doesn't really tell you that much. I have no real complaints or issues and recommend it to anyone, whether you have read the books or not. I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe at a very young age and was deeply impacted by it and so it was important to me that this movie got it right. (Yes, maybe even more important than The Lord of The Rings...) I would say they got it right. The movie stuck VERY closely to the book, and all of my favorite lines and parts were there. (Don't read this next bit if you don't want to know anything about the movie...In particular my favorite parts were when Peter, Susan and Lucy discover Edmund talking alone with Aslan, Father Christmas arriving on the scene, and when Susan and Lucy bury their hands in Aslan's mane and walk him to his meeting with the White Witch. Oh yeah, and I liked the private look Lucy gives Aslan after he announces Edmund can go free... Also, I really liked the music...) I could go on and on, but I think I've probably waxed ecstatic for long enough... I'll just say the whole thing was REALLY well done, and I was completely satisfied. I would like to see it again right now, and to me that is always a sign of a good movie. When you'd like to sneak in to the next showing and start all over again you probably just saw a pretty good show. Also, now I feel the need to re-read all of the books... I can't remember how the professor fits in... (Don't tell me, I'll read the books again and find out.)

Thought you'd like to know what I've been up to...

7 comments:

  1. balderdash on friday!!!!!
    oh yeah... where are we playing... your mom and dad's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok fine. now i'm not mad that i didn't get invited to the movie. i was last night when i found out you all went out. anyways who watched ben?

    friday night works for me. i wish we could do it in the city. i'm sick of driving home at night. but i suppose it works better for the majority.

    lemmie know what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the movie as well. Peter's family has always thought that the Pevensie family is a lot like theirs - his dad read them to the family quite a few times growing up. For Christmas, they gave us a beautiful hardcover book with all the Chronciles, complete with all the original artwork in color. It's really beautiful. For another good movie, watch King Kong when it comes to DVD...careful thouugh, the last line is terrible...don't say you weren't warned... Memoirs of a Geisha is also amazing, and a really beautiful and sad movie. It helps to read the book first though, it gives a lot of background and is totally engrossing read. I wish I could play Balderdash, I haven't had a good game since "road studs" and "I'll show you yours if you show me mine". Miss you all -love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ang... do you want a ride?
    let me know

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope they do the rest of the books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw the movie today. I really enjoyed it. Marc and I both reread the book as well as the one before it (The Magician's Nephew -- which I absolutely LOVED!!!!). I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them as well.

    However, perhaps the best part of the movie (well not really) was finding out that there is a Curious George movie coming out in February, which Madeline will love to see. Her first theatre experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Curious George... We used to call Benjamin Serious George... The Serious little monkey...

    ReplyDelete