Monday, January 16, 2006

Getting ready for our new baby...

While we were at home over Christmas we noticed that Ben DOES NOT deal well with Mommy holding other children. In fact, he tried to push Krissy's baby off my lap during our New Year's visit. I couldn't hold Chloe without him crying either. He just doesn't get the whole baby thing. I was hoping he might like to help Mommy take care of a new baby, but he has too many jealousy issues. I don't want him to feel left out when I bring home his new little brother, but he is just too little for me to be able to explain anything to. Then Mom gave me this great idea...
So I got him a doll. Yes. I bought my son a doll. Dad's not happy. I say if it helps him understand and feel better when I bring the real thing home then it's worth the $20.00 and more. PLUS There's nothing really wrong with a boy learning to be nurturing and helpful. PLUS I got the doll with blue clothes. PLUS Here's this picture of Ben working on the remote for one of his cars to make all you manly men feel better. If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy... Cept. Ben is SUPER good looking. He's got it all really. And what woman wouldn't want a man who can do diapers and bottles? (AND fix the remote?)

I know some of you will think I'm making Ben into a sissy, I say I'm just helping him learn to be a big brother... I HOPE!

12 comments:

  1. I say you gotta do what you gotta do. If it'll help for when the new baby comes home it'll be worth it. Besides that, I think he's too young for it to cause any serious damage. Hopefully he'll copy what Glen does with the new baby and not you, though it would be kind of funny if he tried nursing his baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's sissy at all. I think its a great idea. I also don't beleive that toys make the person either. We mostly played 'cops and robbers when we were young. Grandpa actually made us so many wooden guns and we shot each other and played dead all the time. Yet none of us grew up to be serial killers or anything. Of course we are all pretty fiesty but I think we get that from Grandma and not the guns. I think the doll idea is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am for one glad to see you are looking for sulotions ,being the father of the child almost push of your lap. Hopefuly this will resolve the “I think I'm going to stomp on baby's head while it lays on the floor.” situations as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! He looks super cute playing with his little doll, and he'll be a good older brother for it. I'm all for it. Shawn played with Barbies and he is okay. And just may have fallen in love!! (oops! let a small bit of gossip slip there!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why does it not surprise me that Shawn played with Barbies? Oh yeah, he's a pretty boy. Shawn is the only guy I know who dresses better than half the women I know... Better than me, that's for sure. I guess all that Barbie playing played off. Too bad Glen never played with Barbies... KIDDING GLEN! KIDDING! (He has a wife now, he doesn't need good taste.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's kind of funny... i played with gi joes... and now that's how i dress... i'm all about white t shirts and cargo pants... heck... that's what i'm wearing right now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, I don't think that we met when you guys were here for Mellie's wedding. You probably know who I am though from that humiliating kiss now that I look back. But anyways just wanted to say that I think that it is great that you bought Ben a baby for his own. I hope that it does help when your new son arrives. I am excited for you and I can't wait till he comes. I would also like to say that I love to read Ben's blog. He is so precious. Can't wait to get to know everyone over there in SK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi you dont know me but i came across your blog via a few others i read (randall, dixie). anyway i have two sons and a daughter. my oldest being a boy. we bought him a doll to help him learn to go potty. if the dolly goes potty so can the big boy so your sons new doll may serve a dual purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent... Potty training is just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you taught him how to go outside and hunt small animals with a jacknife and his bare hands he would have something to do when he gets frustrated about you spending so much time with the new baby. I think he needs to go on a men and boys fishing trip. Here he will learn to fend for himself, eat out of unwashed dishes, wash only after flies start landing on you and calling all their friends and learn the valuable lesson, "he who eats the fastest gets the most" who needs nurturing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so weird. It's a wonder any of us turned out even close to normal.

    ReplyDelete