Thursday, January 26, 2006

My Big Boy

Tonight Benjamin FINALLY said I love you for the first time. I've been trying to get him to say it FOREVER and he finally said it. I cried. Big surprise. Then I got Glen to grab the video camera so we could capture it on tape. Of course. (I can't post video clips, or it would so be on here. He's so sweet, I can hardly stand it.)

He's getting so big and changing so fast. When we go outside in the cold he says, "Cote." (He's a toddler and he's already mastered the Canadian habit of talking about the weather.) When he wants to go downstairs he pulls at my pants and says, "Tairs, tairs." (Too bad I'm usually wearing pants with elastic waistbands... I've been "pantsed" more than once.) When I pray with him at the end of each prayer he says, "YAY!" (I seriously don't know where he came up with that one.) He feeds himself now, and when he's full he says, "All done." (I'm mostly happy he's finally started eating at all... Skinny little Smeagol...)

He honestly learns at least a new word every day, today it was "trees" and "chicken". I want to slow him down so badly. I want to take each day and memorize every minute with him. I feel like I'm losing him and he's only a year and a half... What am I going to do when he goes to kindergarten? Sigh... Maybe the new baby will help me to cope with the fact that my Benjamin isn't a baby any more. Or maybe the contrast will just make it seem even worse... Who knows?

At this moment he's wearing this crazy toque, hitting his drum, and dancing in between songs and I just adore every molecule that makes up his body. He's the best, smartest, funniest, sweetest little boy in the whole world and I can't believe I get to be his Mommy forever. So no matter what, I suppose he'll always be my baby... Even if he's not so much of a baby anymore...

Oh, and Benjamin... In case you missed it, I love you too.

10 comments:

  1. "3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

    "4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

    "5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."


    While I believe verse five applies to women as well perhapse it was omited for the fact that mothers generaly take the bitter and the sweet a bit more directly in the raising of children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not worry about all the things he is changing from, you have a ton of photos and your memories. Everytime you see one of these photos, your memories will kick in and it will all come back. I only wish I was closer so I could see the changes as well. I can't imagine the heartache that people like Paul and Cindys parents went thru and are still enduring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey in the background...are those my shoes? the ones with the stripes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, freak. You left them here so you would have them here if you needed them. Having trouble keeping track of all your shoes now? Maybe you should come up with some kind of filing system.

    By the way... I put them in the "Give to Salvation Army pile"... Hope that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could Ben wear that little hat to church tomorrow? That would really make my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so sweet. I know its hard to remember every little thing that our kids say and do, its sad actually, but I'm sure, in heaven we'll get to see it all again...somehow.

    Anyways, I haven't been here for a while. I was checking out a few of your latest and saw your family photo. Well guess what, my husband and I went to BBI with your husband Glen. I never knew Glen, my husband Jason probably did though. I just thought I'd share that...small world. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. no don't give them away. oh fine. do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not giving away your shoes, geek. I was joking. They are in the "spare shoes" pile, not the "Salvation Army" pile. Geez, gullible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's me, the newbie blogger again!
    Becky, little Benjamin is so cute! I've only seen him once, at Melanie's wedding, but he's a cutie, for sure...That hat is awesome... it looks like a wig or something... Ack, I'm starting to like children... I'm getting old... Your verbal exchange with Angie about he shoes made me laugh, you guys are hilarious... Angie, I want to read your blog, everyone tells me how funny it is, and I can't read it, because I can't access your profile, or something... *shrug*

    ReplyDelete