Thursday, April 06, 2006

When Did This Happen?

I'm not sure when it happened. Somewhere along the way I stopped caring though. I remember promising myself in high school that I would always dress "in style" and I would never "let myself go"... And here I sit:

I think it would be fair to say I've let myself go. I think it would also be fair to say I don't give a crap. There was a time when I would never have even allowed myself to be photographed like this. Now I take the picture myself because I think it's funny. It's currently my display picture on MSN.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't go out in public like this. In public I like to wear my tapered Mom Jeans with the elastic waste and cheap white running shoes. I usually manage to wash my face and comb my hair a little better than you see here, but the other day I went out and when I got home I noticed a big glob of white paint on my nose that looked like a huge puss-filled zit. When did I stop even checking in the mirror to make sure I look presentable? I don't know. All I know is something is elementally different about who I am now and who I was even five years ago. I know for a fact I look like I belong on a show like "What Not To Wear." The sad thing is that I'm not one of those people who just doesn't see how bad things have gotten. I see it.

I've known for a long time that I'd rather be dumb and gorgeous than smart and ugly, cause if you're dumb and gorgeous you're to dumb to know you're dumb, but if you're smart and ugly you know you're ugly. (Plus I think that dumb people just generally have happier lives because they are too dumb to be unsatisfied... But now I'm rambling... What was I saying? Oh yeah...) I may not consider myself smart and ugly, but I think it would be fair to say I'm stylish and out of style, which equates to almost the same thing. Seriously.

Anyways... There's no real point to this post except to wonder how this happened. I don't really care that it did. It's just funny how all those things that seemed like they'd always be important stop being important and suddenly you see a picture of yourself that you chose to take and then display staring at you wearing alien glasses, paint, and PJ's.

The only other thing I have to say is, poor Glen.

6 comments:

  1. That picture rocks my world. I LOVE it. I have to disagree with you though about the letting yourself go thing...I saw you on Sunday and you were smokin'. Hot stuff! A complete picture of style and class. But could you wear those glasses on Sunday? That would complete the look. (And really, it would make my day. After all...it's all about me right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are quite the pair of sunglasses. Who knew they would come back in style? j/k.

    I am with you. I am not sure when I lost my sense of style ( maybe I never even really had it) but in any case, I think one finally goes for comfort.

    Can't say for sure when it happened with me, but even now, the minute I get home I am outta my work clothes and into something way more comfortable. Weird, cause it's pretty casual at work. But for me, it'a all about the comfort, and when someone comes to the door I am into the bedroom in a flash, so nobody can see that I was just schlepping around the house. Course I do have to feel for the poor saps who are still in my house, and have to look at me. If need be, they can always go for counseling later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is, that picture is 100 times better than the infamous "birthday" photograph. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. It is. Maybe there is still some hope for me, because I still have just enough pride to prevent me from ever posting that picture anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, I don't think I was ever in style... Meh... I'm fine with that... I wear what I like, regardless of what the "style" is... I'm sure that a lot of people think I have horrid fashion sense...

    I'm afraid what I'll look like when I, as they say, "let myself go"... Let's just say that it's a scary thought...

    I think those alien glasses are fabulous... I need to know where I can get some...

    ReplyDelete