Sunday, July 16, 2006

Worlds Colliding

Against my better judgment I bought Sims 2 off of eBay the other day. I knew it would be a huge mistake and it was. I have this tendency way down deep to want to escape real life. When I was younger I did it with my barbies. Even as I grew older I would often create detailed fantasies when life seemed too depressing to be endured. Oh, nothing perverted or twisted. Usually just cheerful little romances where I am rescued by a handsome prince or something along those lines.

One common fantasy - I can't believe I'm actually writing this - usually occurred while waiting for the bus on my way to work at Pizza Hut in the freezing winter wind on a downtown Regina street corner. In this particular fantasy a very classy car pulls up beside me. A man in the backseat opens his window and behold! It's someone along the lines of Cary Elwes (The "As you wish" hot cha cha guy from Princess Bride) and he is in Regina for some awards banquet and his date has stood him up. Poor guy. All alone in a strange city. He's stopped for directions because his driver doesn't know where he is going, but when he rolls down the tinted window of the backseat where he is sitting he is captivated by my beauty and fresh wholesomeness. I start to give him directions, but he stops me. Perhaps, if I am not busy he could impose on me... He needs a date for the event he is attending that evening. Would I consider accompanying him? Oh, but I have no dress. That's not a problem. There's time to get one... If only I didn't start my shift at Pizza Hut in half an hour and... WAIT! WAS THAT MY TRANSFER? Argh!

I really did miss my bus once in -35 degrees while in the midst of this particular fantasy. "Luckily" I wasn't late for work. (I should also note that I only thought Cary Elwes was hot until I saw him on some talk show once. He is a complete nerd in a bad Steve Erkel sort of way, as opposed to a good Clark Kent or Glen type of way... Which sort of brings me to the point of all of this.) Where was I? Oh. Yes.

  • I bought Sims 2.
  • I have a problem living in the real world and would much rather trade it for a fantasy world. This tendency has led me to a "worlds colliding" type of moment that may prove to be cataclysmic as far as my tenuous grip on reality is concerned.

Here we have simulated Glen serving simulated pizza: (I know!)

Next, simulated Glen, simulated Ang, and simulated me eating (or about to eat) simulated delicious fantasy pizza, with Glen's simulated (and nerdy) alter-ego "Kyle the Yellow Dart" in the background. Sigh. I'm pretty sure we are all having stimulating and scintillating simulated conversation while gaining only simulated weight from the simulated greasy pizza. Why did I ever buy this game? I'll never want to leave. Who knows how many buses I could end up missing...


P.S. When I got Glen to order pizza for all of us I had no idea it would come looking like that! Let's all say HOT CHA CHA together shall we? Also, I don't think I have Ang's hair quite right, I think I might have to redo her sim... But the outfit is good hey?

19 comments:

  1. Oh man! I can't beleive they found you and cloned you! Becky, I applaud your openness and your honesty. I can't beleive you missed a bus waiting for your knight in a white limosine. You are hilarious and sometimes I feel like I am getting to know a new you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best post i've ever read. oh man. i can't wait till you come home. lol. i think i look fantastic!!!! although i don't think my boobs are that big but i'll take em!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played the first Sims A LOT when we were first married. I had every expansion pack and spent most of my time designing really fancy houses (b/c of the money cheat I found) and having babies.

    Then we sold all of those packs and the original game while it was still worth something and I later got Sims 2. Except, this time I had kids of my own. So, making the babies wasn't nearly as exciting, plus I had kids taking up my time, so I think I've played it twice in the year we've had it.

    I was never much for playing the game, but maybe I should give it another go, one of these days when life slows down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dixie: I wouldn't have time to play either if I weren't still nursing Sam. (Sims is an excellent one handed activity, much easier than typing.) Maybe when you have your next you'll be able to "escape" to a world where a dream house is only a quick cheat code away and your simulated husband lets you pick his clothes and brings you simulated pizza.

    Ang: Glad you like her. If you can't have boobs in real life you should at least get them in simulated life. (Plus I can't change boob size, that's how they came.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't I see Glen wearing that EXACT shirt last time I saw him? Uncanny.

    I never let Sims resemble my real life...I only play to escape my real life. I can't imagine if the people who annoyed me in my real life would come and annoy me in my Sims life. That would never do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If anyone annoys me in Sims I drown them in the swimming pool. Very cathartic. I actually drown lots of people in Sims. It's a good way to bring down property values for the Sims I really care about without actually cheating. Ang is presently living in a house where four old people and one nerdy chick with pigtails drowned. She seems to have no problem with it. She moved in to a fully furnished home and sold the tombstones for profit. She's so cold sometimes it's chilling... Heh heh. CHILLING.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never played the Sims game. Now that I know you can simulate who you want, that might not be a bad idea. Drowing you say? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post. Hillarious. I design Peter and me to look the way we do, but in a much much nicer house. Peter locks people together in a room with no doors and watches them freak out until they die. He created Bin Laden and Hussein once, put them in a room and deleted the doors. They fell in love, and danced and kissed (EWW!) until one of them lit a romantic fire in the fireplace and burned the place to the ground. You're right, it is cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never played sims either although Robyn spends endless hours playing. She also drowns people in the pool. What a morbid bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your simulated world, and yes, that simulated pizza looks very good. I've never played the Sims, but I am afraid to, for fear that I'll become hopelessly obsessed. It's quite sad. And I'll likely just play around and make myself and my friends and a fancy house, then get bored and do it all over again. I want to go play Zoo Tycoon now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. way to go beck... now, in my endless attempt to be like you, i am currently bidding on the sims 2 also... i hope it's fun... i hope i win... i hope i get it cheap

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't pay more than $18.00 Canadian including shipping. (Glen swears he saw it at superstore the other day for $10.00, but I think he was imagining things.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. mine came to about $30 inc. shipping... i looked around online and couldn't find a retail version for less than $40.00... but mine is in the mail now... pretty soon we'll both be so enveloped in or sims.... it'll be like runescape all over again... do you still runescape?

    ReplyDelete
  14. really??? i don't know why, but that suprises me

    ReplyDelete
  15. i got my sims today... it's fun... i'm going to play the sims 2 at work now... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
    »

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
    »

    ReplyDelete