Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good Times

I'm back from my little trip to Saskatoon/Martensville. Glen couldn't come, he had a school drama festival that he needed to be at, so it was just the boys and me. Traveling alone with Ben and Sam always makes me appreciate single parents. Yoiks. Toddlers really do need someone to sit with them and make sure they don't squirt their bottles out all over everything. Yelling "Sammy! Stop that!" while driving is not really a very effective deterrent for a kid like Sam. He's not dumb. He knows I'm not going to go back there. Cleaning out the van is at the top of my list of things to do tomorrow.

I went to my cousin's wedding and had a lovely time. She was a stunning bride and it's so great to see her so happy, especially because she has been through a lot. Watching someone get a chance to start over and begin again is really an amazing thing. I spent a lot of time thinking about second chances and grace this weekend. So often I have it in my head that one major mistake can mean the end of all my dreams and plans, but that's not what life is really about. It's not about being perfect. It's not about floating along in a haze of perpetual contentment. It's about making mistakes and learning from them. It's about finding your true self and then loving and allowing yourself to be loved, flaws and all. Sometimes the greater our pain, the greater our appreciation for the beauty that's all around us. I know that sounds trite, but that's what I thought about this weekend.

We had Sam's first second birthday party with all of my awesome family. It was a sweet time, and true to form, all the struggles of the past year made it seem even sweeter. Watching Dad be able to play with the boys, and just being together doing normal things was lovely beyond words. Dad even has his hair and mustache back, so things really felt good and normal for the most part. I also got to spend lots of time with my Mom and sister, which is just always good for me. There is no one I'd rather shop for bras with than my mom, and no one I'd rather watch TV and avoid responsibility with than my sister. Good times. I love them all so much.

I'm not really sure what's going on here tonight, but I'm feeling pretty sentimental, and I'd hate to turn off my few remaining readers with too much mush, so I should probably sign off. I've posted pictures of Lisa's wedding here, and Sam's birthday here, for all of you who are interested, or even for those who are not interested, but just plain desperate to get away from the sap.

4 comments:

  1. It was great having you here as well. There is almost no one I would rather spend time with than my grandsons. After you left, we walked home and as I was getting a drink Chris said "man its quite in here." I miss those boys already, and they are barely gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a way with words Becky. Your blogs are always good to read. Next time you come out we should get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy reading you blog. When your boys get a little older there is a way of keeping them in line when traveling alone. Auntie Mitz and I have done it. Tell them that if they are not going to be good you will stop the car and make them walk. Then do it. Our kids walked in the ditch just outside of Martensville with us following closely behind. When they got back in the care they were very subdued. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I love mush! I am so happy you had a great time on your visit!

    ReplyDelete