Sunday, June 01, 2008

In The Yard Today

This being the "Year of the Yard" at our house, I've been spending... Well the same amount of time outside that I usually do, but this year I'm doing stuff besides reading books while I'm out there. The first year we lived here we spent the summer recuperating from all the work we had to do indoors to make our new home livable. The next year, I painted our basement and then needed the summer to recuperate again, although we did manage to fill in our sluggy ponds, but that's about it. (And by we, I mean Glen.) Last year we painted the exterior of the house and I did no yard work, although there were some people that did. Okay, I did a little, but it was mostly destructive. This year, I have proclaimed, the Year of the Yard.

Now, some of you gardeny-type people might think this means I'm putting in flower beds, and creating little stone pathways, and fancy waterfalls. Actually, it's just the opposite. Our yard is/was completely over-landscaped. The flowers are beautiful, but I can't keep up with six flower beds, and we have hardly any clear grassy areas. So this year I'm getting rid of all but two of them. I'm keeping the flowers though. (Hopefully.) I've been moving them into new homes and using the rocks from the waterfall I bashed down last year around for borders. Oh yes, it all sounds very industrious and thrilling, but I'm only doing it because I have to. I promise you I'm not enjoying it.
(The tree you see above, is the same freshly pruned tree from this post. Notice the new flower bed around it, and the almost completed rock border. Fancy hey?)

Ben's been busy too. Today he found "a poor little bird" over by his swingset. I was sure when I walked over it was going to be a
dead poor little bird, but it turned out to be a baby that must have fallen from it's nest. (Or got hucked out a little too early.) We made it a nest using grass in a sand pail first, and I dug up some earth worms and mashed them up to feed to it with a syringe. It was quite a process. Did you know earthworms are full of dirt? They are!

Anyways, it turns out if you've rescued a poor little bird, you're not supposed to use grass for a nest, (too cold) and you're supposed to feed it cat food. Who knew? (Glen figures that they only say that about the cat food because they don't expect most people to be willing to find and prepare worms and that my wormshake won't have done it any harm.)

I also learned, via the internet of course, that the best thing to do is to leave it somewhere safe for the mommy bird to find. So we rigged its "nest" (Kleenex is apparently the best nest material) up in one of our neighbors spruce trees (which is where he came from I think) and it didn't take much longer than an hour for her to arrive, worm in beak, to take care of our (and by our I mean my) little orphan. (It would have been nice to know he could eat whole earthworms before I dirtied two bowls, a fork, and a potato masher, and completely grossed myself out making him his lunch.)

He's a spunky little guy, (or girl) and he (or she) climbed out onto the little branch you see there when his (or her) mommy arrived. (I call most things, plants, bugs, animals, inanimate objects "he's", I don't know why.) I was worried he'd fall again, so I made him a roomier "nest" and transferred him to it. Let me tell you, his parents were not impressed with that process. I was a little scared they'd dive bomb me, the way I've seen birds do to cats, but I escaped unscathed. I even managed to climb up there again just before dark to check on him and tuck him in for the night.

So that was our day in the yard. And I only got slightly sunburned.

3 comments:

  1. w. This is something Ben will likely remember for the rest of his life. He will remember it as the bird HE rescued though. I know this because it happened like that when Jack found a bird and I climbed up on our garage and risked life and limb getting the little guy back in the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have took you a while to link all of that. You have made a lot of progress in the yard when you look back at it all. If you get the deck and fence stained and the grass and gardens fixed up...by golly!...you will be done! Woo! Hoo! What a job all that was. I think it is probably more work to unlandscape something that to start form scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mashed up worms to feed your orphan bird...I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You are a special, special girl Becky Willems.

    ReplyDelete