Monday, December 22, 2008

Four: Gramma

We're staying at my Gramma's house this Christmas. (She's on Vancouver Island over Christmas and she lives only a few blocks from Mom and Dad's. We usually stay at Mom and Dad's, but this is so nice for us especially with Dad frequently feeling sick and/or tired and the boys wanting to play with him CONSTANTLY when we're around. This way everyone gets a break and a little more space than we are used to at Christmas.)

Anyways. We're staying at Gramma's. And it's nice. Especially since staying at Gramma's almost feels like hanging around with her. There's a lot of great Gramma stuff there. All her pretty bells and dolls... And then the best stuff of all... All kinds of pictures of her family and lots of notes and things they've given her over the years. Here's something I found on her fridge that comes from a looooooooooong time ago:I'm not sure how long ago this was written, but I know she's had it up somewhere in her kitchen ever since we gave it to her. I'm guessing we were around ten when we came up with the thoughtful idea of writing a thank-you note after some family gathering. I think the funniest thing about it is that we didn't even bother re-writing it when we made a mistake. You can tell we put a lot of work into this masterpiece that Gramma has had proudly displayed for the last twenty years or so.

But isn't that what makes a gramma so great? She doesn't just treasure you for the amazing things you do, she cherishes even your lamest qualities and has the ability to be proud of everything about you. Staying at her house, surrounded by all that Gramma-love is almost as good as being with her... Almost.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your ok Becky...when I didn't see a post right away for number 4 I got all worried...yes, I do have things to do...many, many things....BUT anyway, this is a really, really sweet post. Grandmas are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still amazed that she had this little note and that it has survived all those moves and still lives on her fridge. It is a precious little note, just the kind of thing that a grandma loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember taking it off her fridge in the old house when they moved! I've always thought it was cool that she'd kept it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your Grandma has that note. I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps things like that. I have things from my kids and from my grandkids. Maybe I will do a little blog on that.
    Many of the things I put up at Christmas are things the kids made in school, like the elf you see on my profile picture.

    ReplyDelete