Saturday, October 31, 2009

Milk Jug O'Lanterns

It's Halloween and that means it's Jack O'Lantern time. But, since there were no pumpkins to be had ANYWHERE in Yorkton today, unless I stole them already carved from people's front yards, we had to improvise. And it was FUN!

First we cleaned out some old milk jugs, and the boys used markers to draw faces on them. (Glen and I each did one too.) Then I carved them just the same as I would a pumpkin. Except less messy. And way faster. And actually way easier, so not like pumpkins at all really. I used an exacto-knife to start the cuts and scissors to finish.Then we painted them using sponges and acrylic folk paint. I cut a hole in the bottoms and painted the insides with a lighter orange, so they would glow more like real pumpkins when they were lit. I had considered using, and purchased, tissue paper and glue, but the paint worked so well we didn't even try it.
(You may have noticed the boys are wearing their clothes inside out. That was a comprimise, they wouldn't go for my suggestion to paint in their undies, and I don't care that much if they stain the insides of their clothes.)
Then I took a permanent marker and outlined the faces again and stuck some tiny flashlights from the Dollar Store inside the tops. Easy! And awesome, don't you think?
Next year I'll be sure to get our pumpkins early so we can do some traditional Jack O'Lanterns, but I think we might make some more milk Jug O'Lanterns and line the driveway with them over top of Christmas lights. AND I think we'll leave some white and make little ghosts too. (We wouldn't need to paint them or cut them out or anything! All we'd need are some jugs and some black markers!)

Don't you just love when an idea works out even better than you'd hoped it would? I do.

17 comments:

  1. That. is. AWESOME!!! seriously, girl - you always surprise and impress me! Now, I want to see a picture of Hannah's costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting some up on face book riiiiiiiiiiiiight... NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those rock!!!! I am going to make some myself next year. Those are better than the junk they sell in the stores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, Becky. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, did I stumble across Martha Stewarts Blog by mistake? You know I am not a big Halloween fan, but those are SO COOL!! You are so crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you guys. This just shows how UN-crafty I am since you are all so blown away! LOL.

    I'm not the only person to ever think of this. Google it. I just ran an image search and there are nicer ones than these out there. (Although no one else called them Jug O'Lanterns. Yessssssss.) There are even some ghosts! I'm TOTALLY doing ghosts next year. They look awesome.

    (I wrote "nicer", but I don't really mean it. Theirs are too fussy and not as funny. Ours are way awesomer.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang it. I just googled "Jug O'Lanterns" and other people HAVE called them that before. What a let down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But no one has called them "Milk Jug O'Lanterns". I'm copy-writing that. Or patenting it. Or whatever you do to call dibs on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok. Ummm...yeah. I think we need to take a DNA test just to be sure. I don't remember carrying you, but maybe I was just unconscious that year.
    I am so going to have to do that next year with the grandkids! Great idea and very well executed. And even if you googled it and printed out instructions, you are still CRAFTY enough to have accomplished it in style. I think yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky...you are so creative! And energetic! Those really look cool - your kids are so lucky to have such a fun Mommy! Hope you all had fun, looking forward to seeing pictures of them in their costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rats...I just had Mike take all the bottles to SARCAN so all the mild hjugs went. That foils my plan of doing something like that for Christmas and putting them on the lawn instead of making Jonathan or Mike put the lights up on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE IT! I went to a pumpkin patch yesterday with some friends and their kids and they did a hunt for pumpkins and then everyone glued macarroni on them. Lame-O! I LOVE your idea! And I don't care who thought of it first, you informed the rest of us in our little world! So all the credit goes to Y-O-U. And if I could ever get this glory train rollin and get married and have some babies, we would be making jug-o-lanterns galore. For every season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE IT! I went to a pumpkin patch yesterday with some friends and their kids and they did a hunt for pumpkins and then everyone glued macarroni on them. Lame-O! I LOVE your idea! And I don't care who thought of it first, you informed the rest of us in our little world! So all the credit goes to Y-O-U. And if I could ever get this glory train rollin and get married and have some babies, we would be making jug-o-lanterns galore. For every season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These ARE awesome! I think what amazes me most is that you came up with the idea all on your own, and didn't google it first. Resourcefulness. Ingenuity. You're like the MacGyver of crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL. It's not that amazing when you think about it. What else can you think of that's hollow and about the right shape and size?

    Balloons. Would pop if you carve them. Balls. Ditto. I thought of paper mache balloons, but they wouldn't be think enough to glow. Then I thought of ice cream pails. But we only have one. And it's yellow, not brutal, but white would be better... Wait! Milk jugs are white! And we have lots!

    Then I googled milk jug jacko lantern. Then I googled "milk jug Jack O'Lantern". Then I plotted. Then I combined some of my plotting with other people's plotting. And voila. You all think I'm a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, maybe at least determined. I probably would have thought, "Awww, I guess no Jack o Lanterns this year." But you went the extra mile. Okay, maybe an extra couple of feet, but probably more than I would have done. Darn my defeatist attitude.

    ReplyDelete