Friday, October 23, 2009

Wounded

I hurt my ankle a few months ago. It still hurts. Every now and then the boys bump it, or I forget that it's injured and I hurt it again.

When I first hurt it, it was impossible to forget because the pain was so intense, so I was careful to guard it. You never would have found me sitting on a bench in the mall with it out there for people to walk into, and if you had, and if they had bumped me, I wouldn't have been mad. That would have been dumb. It wouldn't have been their fault. Why should they have to watch every step they take around me? Why should they even know that I'm hurt? It would be ridiculous to expect other people to guard MY injury.

And yet, that's what I'm doing. I'm out there in the world expecting people to understand how badly I'm hurt. I'm expecting them to be careful not to hurt me further. I'm expecting them to remember a hurt that they aren't feeling, at least not most people, and not in the same way.

It's not working out very well.

Obviously, an invalid in a room full of invalids is probably pretty safe from further injury. You can expect other invalids to creep around carefully... Making sure not to bump into others... To protect each other. But healthy people move much faster, and without as much caution, and why shouldn't they?

Sigh. All this to say, I'm taking a break from facebook, and a bit of the world, for a while. It's unreasonable of me to expect people to tip-toe around me, to think about me and my family every time they post something... Every picture, every status update, every comment. My injury is too new. I'm way too sensitive. And it's not fair.

I'll keep posting here on my blog, because here I can ask people to be careful. To think about every comment before they post it. To tip-toe around my hurt.

I guess that's all for now. I really do love you all.

7 comments:

  1. Still thinking about you Becky. I can't even begin to imagine your hurt, but know that I am praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tiptoe. I'm glad you'll still blog, I would have missed you too much if you had stopped. You'd have gotten endless e mail from me. I have a lot of time on my hands now :)

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're still blogging. I'll check back here whenever I see you've posted something new . . . please know that I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me heart aches for you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh, it can be tough out there. I understand. But you know that. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will gladly tip toe Becky, please forgive me if I have already bumped into your wound...that is the last thing I want to do. I love you and continue to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for you Becky! I understand and we will not forget. Love you and we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete