Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Don't Have It So Bad

In my lowest times, I try to remind myself that I don't have it so bad. For one thing, I had a great dad, one who made everything better, someone who always made even the happiest of times seem more full of joy and meaning. I think of my baptism and my wedding and how having him there made a wonderful perfect day somehow more wonderful. He did that all the time. He was that kind of dad. I was blessed to have him for as long as I did. Losing him doesn't, can't, change that.

And I have a beautiful family. I have a sister who makes me laugh, who I can cry with, who could not possibly be more dear to me. I have two wonderful brothers who somehow make me feel both protective and protected, and they have brought two fantastic girls into my life who I love more every day I know them, and who fit in so well with our family. I have a super adorable niece and two fab nephews who light up my life, and who are so cute I can barely stand it. I have a mom who is my best friend. She knows everything about me, and loves me anyways, and she is the person who I want to call first whenever anything, big or small, happens to me. And I have three amazing children who are healthy and happy and who fill my days with joyful chaos. And I have Glen here to help manage that chaos. (Usually. Sometimes he's part of the chaos.)

And don't even get me started on the many friends and huge extended family who I love and who love me. I am blessed beyond the words to explain it. (Quite something for someone like me.)

And I have pain in my life, but I wouldn't trade all of that joy to be pain free. Obviously.

There are people who have never had a dad like mine, they may not have to experience the pain of losing him too soon, but they never experienced the joy of loving and being loved by their dads like I was. One of the things that I know will come with time is that I will be able to feel the blessing more than the pain when I think of him. I try, but I struggle with that one. I have to keep reminding myself: I don't have it so bad.

I was reminded of that by someone other than me today. On occasion, since the earthquake in Haiti, I read the blog of a missionary family there. I haven't been to their site for awhile, but today a friend on facebook posted a link to their blog...

And I was reminded...


To remember my blessings before my pain, to hold onto hope even in the most hopeless looking situations, to love those who are close to me with all of my strength, and to embrace each day with all of my many blessings and treasure what I have been given.

I remember those last nights in the hospital with dad, and how it felt knowing that my friends and family were holding us up in prayer in the face of our great loss, one friend stayed up all night "with us" from many miles away. And those prayers were such a comfort to us. So please, let's all pray for Cody and Maria Whittaker and their daughters, Isabela and Susana. What a painful road they have ahead of them, but I'm sure they wouldn't trade a minute of the pain of loss if it meant being without all the joy of having.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post... thanks for the reminder to be thankful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I saw that blog the other day and was so inspired.
    We are so blessed...

    ReplyDelete