Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sister Wives: I Can Relate

I'm watching Sister Wives. I'd have a harder time confessing this if I didn't know lots of you are watching it too. I can't help myself. It's fascinating.

And do you know what? I don't think polygamy be illegal. I think people should be allowed to choose who they want to marry, and even how many people they want to marry. Don't get me wrong. I think it's CRAZY. I even think it's wrong. But I don't think it should be illegal. Just like I don't think homosexual marriage should be illegal.

The thing is, I don't want anyone to tell me what to believe. I would never tolerate someone telling me that they believe my lifestyle is wrong and that I'm not allowed to make my own choices. I'm an adult. Aside from obviously criminal activities, it's not the government's job to make moral choices for me.

So why is it the government's job to make moral decisions for other people who believe differently than I do? What I see on Sister Wives isn't criminal. The choices they are making for their family are not choices I agree with, but even I can see that their family is not so different from mine. They love their children, they love their god, and they have thoughtfully made conscious choices for their family based on what they believe is good and right. That's a lot more than a lot of people who live "normal" lifestyles can say for themselves.

Oh, I know there are examples of people who think they are doing what is good and right (or at least they say that's why they're doing things) who are pure evil. I'm thinking spefically of Warren Jeffs right now, but there are examples of people like him in every walk of life everywhere in the world. I know that he would argue he isn't doing anything wrong either, and that he should be allowed to make his own choices too. And some people could argue it's a slippery slope... But the big difference that I see is that he (and others like him) is making choices that harm other people, children especially. And the government absolutely should step in to protect others from his choices.

Anyways. That got longer than I planned...

They hardly lost any weight this episode. Poor sister wives. I know how that feels. But I don't know how it feels to have my choices taken away from me and my lifestyle condemned by the government. I don't think that's right. (Just like I don't think it's right that you work and work and watch what you eat and only lose 4 lbs. Brutal.)


What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I also watch Sister Wives. It is fascinating. I don't think it should be illegal either and I'm really glad they chose to do this show. It is putting a face to something that nobody really knew much about before. (At least I didn't). I agree with your stance on the subject totally. I don't think anybody should be told what to believe or have a government step in to punish you because they feel the lifestyle you have chosen is immoral. There are a lot worse people out there in this world than the Browns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never watched in myself, but I have to agree. I don't personally like polygamy, or could ever come close to imagining being in a polygamist relationship, but if it works for some people, I don't see that it should be illegal.

    ReplyDelete