Monday, June 17, 2013

My Downfall

I knew it.

I knew eventually doing Hannah's hair would be my downfall. There's only so many times a mom can tell a kid to stop moving their head before they yell it... "HANNAH, FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GOOD AND DECENT AND ADORABLE... HOLD!!! STILL!!!"

And it's not just the fact that I have to say it over and over. Every now and then when I tell Hannah to hold still for some reason her brain translates my words as "Hey kid, shake your head from side to side a whole bunch really fast." I don't know why this happens, but I do know it makes me crazy. I also know it takes a LOT of intense concentration to resist yelling in this circumstance. I'm getting really good at it, as my previous 35 days without yelling can attest to. 


BUT, every now and then she does that AND I'm in a really big hurry. It's the perfect storm. This is what happened yesterday before church.

So I'm back down to zero. I yelled... And not just my exasperated yell, my mean yell that makes her cry. We both know the difference and yesterday I crossed that line. Poor Hannah. Is a straight part and even pigtails worth sad little tears rolling down her freckled little cheeks?

We all know the answer to that question.

4 comments:

  1. That's my downfall too. I feel your pain on all counts. I had Chloe in tears today too. And I agree, so NOT worth it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I feel for you. That was me and Lynae tonight. Her hair is so long and thick and I swear, gets instantly tangly. And she keeps moving her head and THEN says it hurts as I'm trying to get the tangles out. Urgh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do my sister's hair most mornings to help my mum out before the school run and she is exactly the same! She can never seem to sit still and always wants to touch her hair whilst I'm in the middle of doing it. It's so hard not to yell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, it's good to know I'm not alone... lol.

    ReplyDelete