Saturday, November 05, 2016

National Love Your Red Hair Day

You know when you imagine something amazing, but it never turns out as good as it was in your head? That's not Hannah. I imagined her for years. I named her, I bought her outfits, I planned the things I'd like to do with her, I even practiced her hairdos on poor Ben. And then she came. And one of the first things I remember after she was born was the nurse talking about her red hair. I lay there on the stretcher waiting for them to clean her up and bring her to me, and telling myself she did not have red hair. Not really. She couldn't have red hair.

Because in my wildest fantasies I didn't get to have a red-haired daughter. That would be too much. Just a daughter was enough. It was more than enough. But God didn't just give me a daughter, He gave me Hannah.


She's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. She sparkles. She says the funniest things all the time, and she's smart and self-assured. She's so graceful, but so clumsy. She is loving and affectionate. She cries at the drop of a hat, and it's so adorable, I melt inside when she is sad. I love everything about her, and then she runs and plays outside in the sunshine and her red hair looks like it's on fire and she takes my breath away. I look at her and can't help but wonder how she got here, where she came from, and why she's mine. She's a miracle.

So happy National Love Your Red Hair Day little spitfire. I love your red hair, but mostly I just love you. You're enough and then so much more than that. You are more than I ever dreamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment