I can't believe I'm saying this...

... But you know Stupidstore? That place that fills me with rage like no other? (Except maybe Walmart.) I am loving their new line of clothes, especially the stuff for kids. In the past, shopping for boys clothes at Stupidstore has been frustrating, to say the least. For one thing there was almost no selection. Usually I could count on about ten items in a given size. (This is especially frustrating when the girls clothes take up three aisles. It's like people think little boys don't need to be dressed, or they can just wear the same outfit every day. Grrrr. Deep breaths.) The other thing was the items that were available had Elmo and Winnie the Pooh splashed all over them. (Don't get me wrong, I love fuzzy little creatures as much as the next person, but I don't like to look at them splashed all over my child's chest in garish colors.)

See... I've always intended that when I had kids I would dress them like little adults. (Just like I intended to never let myself go, or buy a minivan.) No tacky Spidermen, or plastic jeeps for my kids. Now, I've had to relax this standard a little, okay... A LOT. (Ben has both a Spiderman shirt, and a shirt with a large plastic monster truck glued to the front.) I guess at the time I made my plans I hadn't accounted for the pleasure I would gain dressing him in things he likes. What can I say? I wasn't a mommy yet. I didn't know how your own child's smile can transform a day from dreary to magical.

What I did account for was the pleasure of dressing children all matchy-matchy and slick like the kids on Gap ads. Since I don't have girls, and I don't get to do braids or sticky-up pony tails with ribbons and little flower barrettes, I figure I should at least be allowed to make my boys sometimes look they stepped out of a Gap commercial. Is this excessive? Is this wrong? (Don't answer that.)

Till recently, that has been difficult. Yorkton doesn't have a Gap or even an Old Navy for me to shop at, and let's face it, I can't really afford to shop at either. (And don't tell me Old Navy is cheap, because unless you hit a good sale, it's not that cheap. AND when you do manage to hit a sale, the selection in the boys' department is picked over and pathetic.) So all I had was Walmart, Zellers, and Stupidstore.

Walmart is crap. Their boys' section is as pathetic as it gets. Almost everything of the very little they have is ugly/tacky. The only thing they have going for them are the pants with the adjustable waists that rock my world. (Ben is so skinny, without adjustable pants I'd have to start tying up his jeans with a shoelace like I do my own. Don't ask or comment.)

Zellers is only slightly better. They tend to have a little closer to an even mix of boy vs. girl clothes, and what they do have seems to be better made. But it's still hit and miss most of the time, and I often leave there without getting what I want.

Onto Stupidstore... The last few months I've been noticing a startling change going on over there. I find myself being lured away from the quick walk down the diaper aisle to peruse the cute shoes and snazzy shirts being offered. (Don't even get me started on the girls' section! It makes me want to cry a little. They have this jacket right now... And these little cord dresses and knickers... I drool almost as much as Sam does whenever I give into temptation and find myself caressing pink tights with a glazed look on my face.) Yes, Superstore has overhauled their apparel sections, and I couldn't be happier with the results. (Ben and Sam are sporting some of their new Joe fashions in the fall photos I took of them this weekend.)

So, I can't believe I'm saying this... But way to go Superstore. Your new Joe Fresh Style line is fab, maybe even super fab! And you've made this mommy very happy.

(Now, if you could just make some of your women's clothes in my size I might even stop calling you Stupidstore on a regular basis.)

Comments

  1. This was a pretty long post for something so trivial hey? I seem to be consumed with the trivial lately... More about that later though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just may have to check them out. I'm starting to find that Walmart is getting sucky and don't get me started on Zellers...Too late. Their selection of little girls clothes here is really good if your little girl is still wearing clothes sized in months, or if she's about a size 5 or bigger. I want to find Chloe one really nice outfit to maybe go for family pictures. Other than that, we're hitting Value village and my very favorite consignment store(all your expensive brand name clothes at a mere fraction of the price)! Leave it to her to decide she needs one last (major) growth spurt before the snow flies! She has 2 pairs of shoes that fit currently and one of them is a pair of cowboy boots(not the most practical, but really stinkin cute!) But anyway, if you really need to fill the urge to buy girl stuff Becky, she's just starting to wear size 3! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked out their clothes and most likely, the only thing I could buy is one bra. Stupidstore! They also have way better buys clothes than girls clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're finally finding something good to say about the place I do almost all my shopping at (Superstore{groceries of course}).
    They sure do have some nice stuff in their Joe line.
    The pictures of your boys are just so cute.
    By the way have you looked at Paul and Cindy's blog? They have finally posted. I guess I had just about given up and thought they had gone to facebook or something. It would be so nice to be able to comment, but I don't (and won't) have a blogger account. I wish Kirsten would also post as I've been waiting to hear the latest of the news about school and how it's going.
    M.K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsten won't be posting till she's home. The net nanny at her school doesn't allow any blogger sites, which is understandable considering some of the stuff out there in the blogging world.

    As far as I can tell, school is going well. She sure has lots of homework though! (Including a crushing essay on Spanish History and Literature to be written in Spanish! Youch!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update Becky.
    I'd love to post to their site, but I can understand why they don't allow it. Is it not a little more secure if you don't? At least then if there is a problem they can be tracked through Blogger.
    Thanks again, Becky.
    M.K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know what you mean about the joe line up... i see it every day at work... now, if only they would carry size fat for me... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cloths were cute including the girls selection. They were hard to resist. I agree with Trav...they need to get some larger sizes...Ang had told me to go there because they have some nice stuff.. but not for me! Surprize surprize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky, I totally agree about the whole "boys clothes" thing. I was pleasantly surprised with the new Joe line. Good quality and I am likeing the style.

    I too, walk by the girls clothes and *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new Joe line too! Adorable and its about time we have somewhere else to buy cute kids clothes beside's Walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought a tank top from there and it was cheap cheap cheap. I love it.

    I'm so glad for something that soothes the superstore rage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Becky needs"

Last Year

Iritis Math