Joy Is Like The Rain

A longish time ago, when I was in elementary school, we used to sing a rain song (among others) at school assemblies. I can still remember the first verse perfectly and often sing it to myself when it's raining. I know there were other verses, and that one of them was about Jesus, but they've slipped from my memory as easily as the words from One-Eyed, One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater. I just always really liked that first verse. Especially the words, "Laughter runs across my pain, slips away and comes again." I suppose I must have always had a poetic heart and a thing for imagery.

It's raining today. They boys slept in and we all ended up lazing around in my bed till around eleven. As I lay there looking out the window, watching drops of rain running across the glass I found myself humming the words from so long ago and wondering how the rest of the song went. So, of course, I googled it.

JOY IS LIKE THE RAIN

I saw raindrops on my window, Joy is like the rain.

Laughter runs across my pain, slips away and comes again.

Joy is like the rain.

I saw clouds upon a mountain, Joy is like a cloud.

Sometimes silver, sometimes grey, always sun not far away.

Joy is like a cloud.

I saw Christ in wind and thunder, Joy is tried by storm.

Christ asleep within my boat, whipped by wind, yet still afloat.

Joy is tried by storm.

I saw raindrops on the river, Joy is like the rain.

Bit by bit the river grows, till at once it overflows.

Joy is like the rain.


I love the rain. Maybe because I live in a place where rain really doesn't happen that often, it always seems welcome to me. When I'm happy it's the perfect excuse to be lazy, read a book, rent a movie. Or sometimes, when it's warm, I can walk in it with my feet bare and streams of water running down over my cheeks.

And when I'm sad, it feels so right that it's raining. It feels like the world is sad with me too, and that my tears are echoed in the drops that run down windows, and drip off of the leaves of trees. I love the smell of rain. And the sound. And the way it makes me just feel things.

Comments

  1. cool song Becky! Crazy that you used to sing a song like that at school! I'd love to know the tune to that one! I too love the rain! Unless it ruins plans I have, then I'm not a huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i echo everything you just said.
    i love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a beautiful song! So nice that you sung it in school. I like the rain, too, and I wish it was something special and rare like it was when I was a kid. It rains so much here, it's just not quite the same. What I miss is the thunderstorms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that song! I love the tune. It just sounds like it should be raining and that everything is happier when it is raining. I often find myself singing this song when it is raining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, that was beautiful! I love the rain too! My favourite is when it's raining but the sun is shining. I suppose you could draw a metaphor from that to that song - the joy in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful song. What kind of school did you go to that you sang cool songs like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the rain.
    It's so neat to walk in the rain, especially without an umbrella.
    I feel so alive as I inhale the smell of rain.
    M.K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too grow up with this beautiful song; I mean the whole LP and many more nice songs. I went to a Catholic boarding school in Kenya (Maryhill School in the 60's and 70’ s) it was a joy to sing with the girls and the Nuns. God, I loved those days

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Becky needs"

Last Year

Iritis Math