What I'm Telling Myself

When your dad is sick and he and your mom are going far away for a long time to try and make him better it's hard to stay behind. It's hard to know about all the stuff that they will be going through and to also know you won't be able to visit or bring meals over or do anything to make it easier on them. We can talk on the phone and webcam, and I'm sure that will make things easier, but it's not the same. It's hard to say goodbye when there aren't any guarantees that everything will go smoothly. It probably will, but only probably. I want certainly.

So I keep telling myself things. I keep thinking about this summer and the day I forgot Dad has cancer, and telling myself that we have lots and lots of days like that in front of us. I keep telling myself we'll all be okay and that by this time next year...

So this movie is about that. It's about believing. It's about hoping. It's about focusing on people and places and things that make me happy. It's about cheering myself up. Yes, I'm feeling that sorry for myself that this post is all about me, and not really about any of you. Mostly it's just a song and some random happy pictures from the last few months that don't actually have much to do with the lyrics, but do have a lot to do with making me smile and helping me believe that we'll be doing those things and smiling those smiles together again very soon.

(Mom and Dad leave for Seattle today, so please think of them and say a prayer for their safety and for their spirits. It's hard to be left behind, but I'm sure it must be just as hard to go. Also be sure to check into their blogs for updates and to leave them messages. They have a laptop with them and will still be online while they're gone.)

Comments

  1. Oy, I'm teaching a class in 10 minutes, and I've got tears in my eyes! Great video, B.

    And I think I can safely say I know (a bit) of what you're going through. Goodbyes are hard. You'll be on my mind and heart. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky I'm sitting here in tears...I will definitely pray for your parents and for you. That video is perfect; the song, the pics...that picture of you holding/kissing Sam is priceless...so is the one of your Dad coming down the slide with the boys waiting to catch him at the bottom...my heart breaks with yours Becky. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I not only have tears in my eyes but my keyboard has tears on it's "i". The video is awesome. Thanks!!!
    I just said goodbye to your parents this morning at Grandma's. I too believe that everything is going to be alright. Not necessarily easy but alright. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. That song was just what I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky - just know that you are being prayed for, and thought about alot. I love that song, never heard it before - who sings it - I'd like to download it to my ipod!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't listen to the song now cause your dad is having a nap before the hockey game. I think that I will wait until I feel like I won't blubber too much seeing how everybody else is crying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for staying up 'till 3am to finish that, Beck. It's beautiful! We had so many good memories through the summer, I sat here smiling through the whole video. I especially like how happy dad is - usually with our boys crawling all over him. It makes you feel like life is the way it should be again ... Now, I'm about to cry ... but I still have my smile. Thanks, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. May the Lord grant you and your family peace today and always. Your video is a good reminder for me to cherish the people around me. My heart breaks to think that my parents (or my husband's parents) will not be around forever. It is my hope and prayer that you will be given the opportunity to cherish your parents for more summers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the video. Favorites...dad in the sand hole with the trucks and boys. I will watch this a few times over the next weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was awesome. I LOVE the slide picture too. Just so amazing..the song, the pictures, how you put it all together speaks volumes!! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO AWESOME! Thanks for that, Beck.
    I love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the video. There are so many pictures that I could say are my favorites. The slide is one of them. I also really like the one of your dad in his coveralls with a child hanging in them. Isn't there a picture some where of him with one of you kids like that? Great slide show, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved them all, you're right Margaret. It is a picture of Becky and me when she was that little, so we thought we would recreate it with her boys. Thanks Becky, watched it for the first time this evening and melted all over the new apartment looking at pictures of my favourite three boys in all the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Becky needs"

Last Year

Iritis Math