New Fandangled Gadget

We've been stubbornly refusing to buy Ben a Ninendo DS for years now. All of his friends have one. Some have two, an old one and a newer 3DS. It's not that we don't approve of video games, well... we don't actually. My kids are so much nicer when they know the video games are off-limits. This is why they are only allowed to play on weekends, and why I'm not worried about a DS sucking his brain out. He'd still only be allowed to use it on weekends.

No, that's not my reason. My reason is the cranky old mennonite woman in my head who likes to say things like "kids these days" and "no respect for their elders." I know that respect thing she said doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about, but she shouts things out at random, and most of it doesn't make any sense. In her day, kids didn't walk around with fancy name-brand slacks and new fandangled gadgets. And if it was good enough for her, then oh baaaaah, it's good enough for Ben.

She's such a mean old hag. 

I remember the Christmas Mom and Dad got us our Nintendo. They must not have had their own menno Jiminy Cricket sitting on their shoulders, whispering advice in their ears, because we got that thing the year it came out. It was the newest, coolest thing, and we had it in our living room. Granted, it belonged to the family. And it probably cost less than Ben's fancy new DS is costing us, but we got it.

And yes, I said "is costing." I ordered it tonight. The newest, coolest, Pokemon limited edition 3DS XL... yet already.

He thinks that he's not getting one, and that if he is we're buying the oldest, cheapest, (possibly used) model. And he's pretty excited that that's even a possibilty. I think there's an outside chance that his brain might actually explode Christmas morning. (Don't worry. I'll video it and put it up on the you tube.)

Comments

  1. Isn't it the most amazing feeling to know you have found that knock your socks off gift for your kids?! And it's even better when you get it early so you have months to anticipate their response!!! All Chloe has been asking for this year is a horse. We got her the next best thing...a weekly date with a horse and someone to teach her to ride it!! I also told her that she has enough horse stuff so we told everyone not to get her anything that has to do with horses! She's not sure if she should believe me or not! I can't wait to see her face when she opens her new boots from my MIL and her new riding helmet from us!!! It will be epic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should enjoy these years when it is so easy to buy your kids that "blow their mind" Christmas gift. It used to be so easy. Now I will likely just send Jack money and give Grace a gift card to "Forever 21" and Alethea . . . . I don't have a clue. Josh and Alex are easy but the older they get the harder it becomes. Becky, I can't wait to see that video.

    And I totally forgot that you do this every November until you posted it on Facebook. So, I'm a little behind, but enjoying it all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post for my son's birthday, since we are all such gamers in our family! My grandson brought his 3DS over this past weekend, but I never took the time to really look at it. Things just went by too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh shoot. This was the post for November 3. I forgot about the book on November 4. So NEVER MIND about my earlier comment! LOL The book has absolutely nothing in common with my youngest son. Well, I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure that is an accurate statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. It was ALMOST the next day by the time I wrote it, so it could count as his birthday. ;)

      Delete
  5. I remember the day I kicked that old Mennonite woman off my shoulder and started loving TV. I think it happened the day I met you. :) SJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Becky needs"

Last Year

Another One For My List